Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number SG100005084
Historic Name FIRE STATION NO. 13
Description of Significance FIRE STATION NO. 13 WAS BUILT IN 1931, AND IT WAS ESTABLISHED TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE GROWING CITY OF TULSA WHEN THE AREA WAS ANNEXED WEST OF TULSA CITY LIMITS. ALBERT JOSEPH LOVE, A LOCAL ARCHITECT DESIGNED AND USED THE POPULAR ZIGZAG ART DECO STYLE FOR THE FIRE STATION. FIRE STATION NO. 13 WAS THE FIRST KNOWN FIRE STATION TO FEATURE THE ART DECO STYLE IN THE CITY OF TULSA, AND TO DATE, FIRE STATION NO. 13 IS THE ONLY ART DECO FIRE STATION IN THE CITY OF TULSA THAT FEATURES THE ZIGZAG EMPHASIS. THE BUILDING IS CONSTRUCTED WITH FIREPROOF STEEL JOISTS WITH A BUFF BRICK EXTERIOR AND GEOMETRIC CAST STONE DETAILING WITH ITS NOTABLE TRADEMARK BEING THE LARGE CAST STONE PEDIMENT ABOVE THE APPARATUS DOORS INSCRIBED WITH “NO. 13 FIRE STATION”. IN ADDITION, FIRE STATION NO. 13 FEATURES A ONE-STORY, ASYMMETRICAL FLOORPLAN POPULAR WITH FIRE STATIONS DURING THE 1930S. WITH THE REMOVAL OF THE SECOND STORY, THE HAZARD OF COMING DOWN A POLE IS ELIMINATED, AND MULTIPLE DOORWAYS ARE INCORPORATED INTO THE DESIGN TO ALLOW MULTIPLE PATHS TO AND FROM EACH ROOM FOR EXPEDIENCY TO THE APPARATUS BAY. FIRE STATION NO. 13 IS NOMINATED UNDER CRITERION A FOR COMMUNITY PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT AS A PUBLIC SERVICE BUILDING THAT SERVED THE SURROUNDING RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL AREAS OF WEST TULSA AFTER IT WAS ANNEXED INTO THE CITY LIMITS. FIRE STATION NO. 13 WAS STRATEGICALLY LOCATED AND DESIGNED FOR THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITY. IT IS LOCATED WHERE THE SAND SPRINGS RAILROAD MEETS THE ADJACENT RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD AND THE INDUSTRIAL AREA OF WEST TULSA. THE BUILDING WAS CONSTRUCTED SMALLER IN DESIGN, ALLOWING IT TO BLEND WITH THE SCALE OF THE ADJACENT RESIDENTIAL STRUCTURES. CONSEQUENTLY, IT FEATURED THE POPULAR ART DECO STYLE ASSOCIATED WITH GROWING CITY OF TULSA, WHICH ALLOWED IT TO BE A TRADEMARK FOR THE NEWLY ANNEXED AREA. FIRE STATION NO. 13 REMAINED IN SERVICE UNTIL 1964 WHEN THE NEW FIRE STATION NO. 13 WAS CONSTRUCTED AT 345 S. 41ST W. AVE IN ZIEGLER PARK (FORMERLY CAMPBELL PARK) AS PART OF THE 1975 METROPOLITAN TULSA FIRE STATION NEEDS STUDY ADOPTED BY TULSA CITY COUNCIL IN 1959. THE PERIOD OF SIGNIFICANCE DATES FROM WHEN IT WAS CONSTRUCTED IN 1931 TO ITS LAST YEAR IN SERVICE IN 1964. SECONDLY FIRE STATION NO. 13 IS NOMINATED UNDER CRITERION C IN THE AREA OF ARCHITCTURE AS AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE OF ZIGZAG ART DECO DESIGN AND AS AN UNUSUAL EXAMPLE OF A FIRE STATION DESIGN DURING THE EARLY 1930S. FIRE STATION NO. 13 HAS NEVER EXPERIENCED ADDITIONS AND EXTENSIVE ALTERATIONS, LEAVING ITS HISTORICAL INTEGRITY INTACT. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER ON 13 MARCH 2020.
Current Name SAME
Address 3924 CHARLES PAGE BOULEVARD
City TULSA
County TULSA
Lot 6
Block 1
Current Section
Township
Range
Type BUILDING
Historic Function GOVERNMENT: FIRE STATION
Current Function VACANT/NOT IN USE
Area Signficance 1 COMMUNITY PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT
Area Significance 2 ARCHITECTURE
Date Prepared JUNE 2019
Year Built 1931
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder ALBERT JOSEPH LOVE
Architectural Style ART DECO: ZIGZAG
Roof Material MEMBRANE
Wall Material BRICK W/ CAST STONE ACCENTS
Window Material STEEL
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details ZIGZAG ART DECO CAST STONE ACCENTS
Condition GOOD-EXCELLENT
Comments LISTED 03/13/2020.
Restricted